WordPress is the most commonly used and flexible content management system you can use to sail your blogging passion to higher heights.
With WordPress, you’ll have the opportunity to use a wide variety of different top-notch plugins to increase the functionality of the blogging platform.
A plugin refers to any software that is an add-on feature to your site, providing extra beneficial functionality.
The WordPress Plugin Repository boasts of more than 35,000 plugins and tools you can download and apply to extend the platform to perform anything you can imagine.
However, the fact is that you cannot install all the plugins in your site. You should install only the few ones that can optimize the performance of your site.
Check out this list of some of some of the key essential plugins and choose the ones you can use to make you have a rewarding and effective blogging experience.
1. Akismet – it is considered the best protection against spam for any blog powered by WordPress
Database and file backup
2. BackUpWordPress – this plugin will back up the whole content of your blog including databases according to your preference.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
3. All in One SEO Pack – It provides you with nearly everything you need to make your SEO efforts effective and less taxing
(It is not recommended to install both)
5. Google XML Sitemaps – It generates XML sitemaps for your WordPress site such that the major search engines can index it faster.
6. SEO Friendly Images – This plugin will automatically add appropriate ALT and TITLE attributes to your images so that they can rank higher in search engine results.
7. Broken link checker – With the importance of links to SEO, this plugin will let you know whenever it detects broken links on your site so that you can correct them.
8. WordFence Security – This plugin is reputed to be able to make your site up to 50 times faster and more secure to ensure it performs optimally.
9. Limit Login Attempts – This plugin will limit the number of times a user can login to the backend of your site before they are blocked, making unauthorized access difficult.
Speed up WordPress
10. W3 Total Cache – This plugin will enhance the performance of your site through caching pages, objects, minifying the databases, etc.
11. WP Super Cache – It will generate static html files from your dynamic WordPress site, and therefore makes your blog to load faster. It is considered a great alternative to W3 Total Cache.
12. WP Smush.it – This plugin will reduce the size of your images so that your blog can perform better.
13. Floating Social Bar – it will increase the sharing of your content by showing a button linked to the major social media platforms.
14. Tweetily – This plugin will assist you with Twitter marketing and drive more traffic by automatically posting for you on the popular social platform.
15. NetworkedBlogs – Although it is not a WordPress plugin as such, it is an essential tool to assist you increase traffic to your site by enabling you share new posts to the major social sites automatically.
Other useful plugins
16. Yet Another Related Posts Plugin (YARPP) – this plugin will display a list of related posts on your blog thus enabling visitors to spend more time on your site.
17. Ad injection – With this plugin, you will be able to ad advertisements to your site and rotate them to prevent clogging your content with promotions.
18. WP touch mobile plugin – With the current upsurge in the use of mobile devices for accessing the Internet, this plugin will make your WordPress site mobile friendly.
Plugins have indeed revolutionized the way people blog using WordPress platform. They will assist you carry out various kinds of tasks and tweaks so that you can make the most of your site.
Is a plugin you are using on this list? And, what is your experience with it? What other plugins are missing from this list? Feel free to share in the comments below.